Students return to school on Monday, December 1st. POLs will run from December 10th through the 17th, with a modified schedule running from 8:00am to 12:00pm. We will need Green Room Supervisors during POLs. Please use the link below to volunteer to assist.
Archives for November 2014
Congratulation to all of our students on an amazing Exhibition Night! Students did a wonderful job showing off the content and products from their projects over the past couple months through creative mediums including challenging guests to wire circuits, reenacting back room meetings of tobacco executives, creating a statistics coffee house and hosting an arcade of original computer games.
Elections are open for the Parent representatives for the Da Vinci Communications Site Council. The site council will identify priorities and build programs for students in need of additional academic support. Vote using this link: http://goo.gl/forms/eT1PJilz1j. Voting will close on Tuesday, November 25th, and the first meeting of the site council will be on December 3rd, 2014.
Thanksgiving Break begins tomorrow, Friday 11/21 at the end of the day. Students will return to school on Monday, December 1st. POLs will run from December 10th through the 17th, with a modified schedule running from 8:00am to 12:00pm.
Exhibition is tomorrow, November 19th from 6pm to 8pm
Come see your student presenting some of their great projects from this past semester. All students and a family member are expected to attend.
We will have food this year at exhibition!
• November 19th, 6pm to 8pm: Exhibition
• November 24th – 28th: Thanksgiving Break. Classes resume on December 1st.
• December 2nd, 8am to 9am: Coffee with the Director
• December 2nd, 5pm to 6pm: Parent Workshop – developing effective high school study skills
• December 5th: TEDx in the Del Aire Gym
Celebrations and Latest News:
• We will be creating a site council for DVC. This site council will be in charge of identifying areas in which we can support struggling students and establishing methods for supporting them using Title 1 funds. We will have 3 parents and 3 students on this council, in addition to teachers and staff members. If you are interested in nominating yourself or another parent for the site council, please email Nathan.
• The 9th grade is finishing up their TEDx talks and lighting structures – come check them out at Exhibition. They also just took a trip to All Access Staging and Productions, and saw professionals using the same Computer Design software they are learning in Meredith’s engineering course.
• The 10th grade just came back from a field trip to the very trendy offices of 72andSunny, and presented their TRUTH Campaign work to the people in charge of running the campaign. Presentations were all high quality, and everyone at 72andSunny was impressed with their work. Congratulations 10th graders!
• A HUGE thank you to all parents, staff and students who made our Black and White dance a huge success this past Friday. So many parents were especially key, and this event would not have happened without your leadership and efforts. Thank you!
Week 14 Family Update
Week 14 brings about the beginning of the end of the first semester. We have our Winter Dance, Exhibition and POLs all coming up in the next 5 weeks of school.
Winter Formal Dance is this Friday, 7pm to 10pm at the Lawndale Community Center. Tickets are almost sold out and students can purchase them for $15 at lunch.
The 10th grade class is going on a field trip to 72andSunny on Monday, November 17th. Look for a field trip permission slip coming your way soon.
Exhibition is next Wednesday, November 19th from 6pm to 8pm. Come support our students by coming to view and critique their work!
TEDx, put on by our 9th grade class, will take place on December 5th. Outside guests are welcome – come see some great student talks about powerful topics!
Presentations of Learning (POLs) will take place December 10th through December 17th. Students will be given a basic introduction to POL expectations before Thanksgiving break, and then have preparation time upon returning in December. We highly encourage you to come see you child’s POL, and your student will receive their presentation day the first week back in December.
If you are interested in helping out any teams of students with preparation for the event, please contact Meredith Casalino: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A 9th grade student is surveying individuals for her TEDx talk. She would be much appreciative if you took a few minutes to fill out her survey: http://goo.gl/forms/2Nl3YJ