Week 2 Schedule
Volunteer Opportunity: August 27th, 11am to 3pm – Let’s Give
Let’s Give, a non-profit run by high school students, is having an event that is in need of volunteers! The event is on August 27th from 11am to 3pm, they will be selling grilled cheese sandwiches, snow cones, playing music, and more. All proceeds are going towards groceries for Let’s Give to fund their monthly Skid Row breakfast distributions. They are now looking for volunteers to help facilitate this event.
If you’d like to earn some of the service hours required for this semester, while also hanging out with a great group of teenagers from high schools around Los Angeles, look no further!
Contact Madison Aubry (12th Grade Student) for more info…
Email: MadisonAubry07@gmail.com Phone: (310) 489-0091
If you’d like to learn more about Let’s Give you can check them out on Instagram at @Lets.Give or on their website letsgivemovement.org.
Fifth Annual Mars Rover (& Juno!) Updates & LA/OC Societies Expo!
WHEN: Sat, Sept 10, 2016 (from 11am to 5pm)
WHERE: Northrop-Grumman “S-Cafe”, Redondo Beach, CA (just off 405 & Green Line METRO!)
AUDIENCE: Jr High/High School/College Students & Parents & Interested Adults!
1pm-2:30pm: Opening Ceremonies & Short & Local STEM Society Briefings
2:30pm-3pm: BREAK (Visit Tables (with donated Water & Snacks!)” & “Mars Rover Museum”
3pm-4:30pm: Mars Rover & Juno Updates (by returning NASA-JPL Lead Engineer!)
4:30pm-5pm+: Q&A & “Space” Raffle (via Society Donations!)
Natasha Morse, our director of Real World Learning, has found some wonderful internships available to DVC 11th and 12th graders. Continue reading to see how to apply:
Michael Stars Fashion Line
There are two internships at Michael Stars fashion line – one for a PR & Marketing Intern, and another for an Advertising intern. These are pretty high powered; lots of responsibility for students.
Susan G Komen
We have 3 positions as Susan G. Komen. This will give students a glimpse into the day to day operations of a non-profit, ranging from marketing to graphic design to event planning.
- Resume/Cover Letter: Please have all interested students create a resume and cover letter to pass along to the hiring managers before officially programming them into the class. Perhaps they can email both of us with the resume and cover letter as attachments (saved as resume or cover letter and their full name) and include what position they would like in the body of their email. I think that this will ensure students learn the real world application skills. Student can find resources for creating a cover letter and resume on the RWL website under “student resources” http://www.dvrealworldlearning.com/forms.html .
- Programming: Once we have students, I’ll work with them and the company to finalize their schedule. I hope it can be every afternoon, but there may be one day or so that they do not need students. Do we have a plan for this?
Torrance Memorial Hospital Internship
Calling all Da Vinci students with an interest in health sciences! You can apply for a volunteer program with Torrance Memorial Hospital – application deadline is August 31st!
- Must be at least 14 years of age and in 9th, 10th, or 11th grade at the time of orientation (no 12th graders)
- Must be able to commit to volunteering for a full one year of service with either a weekly 2 hour assigned shift during the weekdays or a 4 hour assigned shift on alternating weekends in their Escort Services department. View the High School Student Volunteer Program Information Sheet for more information.
1. Complete the PRE-APPLICATION as soon as it is available:
–Pre-Application available: Monday, August 29, 2016 at 10:00am
-Pre-Application due by: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 by 5:00pm
2. Top candidates will be invited to attend a Student-Parent information meeting on:
September 21, 2016 6:00pm-7:00pm or
September 29, 2016 6:00pm to 7:00pm (only one meeting is required)
3. If you are selected, you must be able to attend a Student Orientation on:
October 17 and October 19, 2016 from 5:00pm to 7:30pm (attendance is required both days)
Contact the Volunteer Services Department at Torrance Memorial for more information at 310-517-4752 or email@example.com. If you need help with the application process, please contact Natasha Morse at firstname.lastname@example.org.