Da Vinci Communications Families and Students, please see below for important POL dates and information, and corrected end of year and beginning of 19-20 school year dates. Sorry for the confusion!
Please read below for more info about next week’s POL’s schedule and policies, or click here for the entire document.
Da Vinci Communications Families and Students,
With Presentation of Learning (POL) Weeks arriving and the 2018-2019 year coming to an end, we wanted to take a moment to inform you of essential information regarding POL day policies, scheduling for those dates. Please read the following letter carefully and if you have any questions about the details below, contact the front office directly.
Presentations of Learning (POLs) – Schedule and Policies
Students should have received their schedule from the teachers and we will also post them on the blog for your reference. Your student will either have a presentation time during the morning session (8 am-12 pm) or during the afternoon session (12 pm- 4 pm). They will attend either the morning or afternoon session each day during POL weeks. It is crucial and expected that students are present for the full session. Please note that students in the afternoon session are released at 4 rather than 3:45. This is true for all Da Vinci High schools during POLs and is because of the number of instructional minutes required for minimum days.
A few reminders about POL policies, presentation times and student attendance:
- POLs will take place from Tuesday, May 28 through Tuesday, June 4.
- During POLs, students are required to be at school for the ENTIRETY of their 4-hour session, regardless of presentation time. For example, if a student has a 10:00 am presentation, they must still arrive at 8:00 am, and cannot leave until the end of the session.
- During the 4 hour session, students will have their own presentation, and in addition, will be observing other students, working on preparatory materials for the second semester, etc., and must be present to complete these assignments. If students are not present, it may result in a negative impact on their POL, Habit of Mind, and/or semester grades.
- Students in the afternoon session cannot arrive early for the morning session unless prior arrangements have been made with a teacher and a note is provided by the teacher.
- Da Vinci Communications is asking that families respect the 4-hour sessions and do not sign students out early unless absolutely necessary, nor bring in or drop off students late.
- Lunch service will be provided from 11:30-12:30 each day to accommodate students in both the morning and afternoon sessions.
- The North gate will be open between sessions from 11:30-12:20 daily. Students in the morning session may leave during this time frame, and students who have an afternoon session can filter in at this time. For instance, if a student is still on our school campus after 12:20, they MUST remain until 4:00 unless a parent or guardian comes to sign them out at the school site front office.
- Students who are tardy to POL sessions will be given mandatory School Service Hours that they must complete within a specific time frame. A copy will be sent home with the students.
9th Grade POLs
All 9th-grade students during the first two days of POLs on Tuesday, May 28th and Wednesday, May 29th, will be required to do a pre-presentation for feedback only. This will be a quick subject presentation so students can make improvements before doing their official POL presentation. During the last four days of POLs Thursday, May 30th – June 4th, students will do their POL presentation for a grade. There will not be any represents since students already presented for feedback. Therefore, students will receive a final POL grade during their scheduled POL time. More information can be found on Spring POL Details and Policies for 9th grade. The final presentation schedule was completed based on a preference survey. See the link for POL requirements Math, English, Physics, Foreign Language.
10th Grade POLs
The 10th grade will begin Spring 2019 Presentations of Learning (POLs) on Tuesday, May 28. Details and policies for Grade 10 POLs can be found on the POL Details and Policies Packet (we sent home a hard copy on Thursday, May 16). Here is the official PRESENTATION SCHEDULE. Below are the POL requirements for the various 10th-grade classes (teacher’s name is in parentheses):
- English (Noël)
- Graphic Communications (Noël)
- Algebra 2 (Sandoval)
- Computer Science (Sandoval)
- World History (Dani)
- Chemistry (Rebecca)
- English (Adam)
- Graphic Communications (Adam)
- Algebra 2 (Donald)
- Computer Science (Donald): requirements found at the end of the document
11th Grade POLs
All 11th graders will participate in a full day (8:50 am-3: 45 pm) POL Workshop Day Tuesday, May 28, where they will be receiving feedback and rehearsing their POLs to ensure POL success. Find details HERE. See the link for POL requirements: History English Pre-Cal Geometry Biology
Contact Sarah Horne for more info: email@example.com
Senior Project POLs – Wednesday, May 22- Thursday, May 23: In lieu of regular POLs, seniors who are completing senior projects will present their projects to a panel of their advisors and clients/external partners. Parents are invited to attend; the schedule for the presentations is available here.
To prepare for the experience of taking final exams in college, seniors will be taking finals in their core classes (Math, Economics, and English) on Thursday, May 30 and Friday, May 31 during the morning session only. Students must plan to arrive by 8:00 AM sharp on both days to take their exams.
Seniors have a full calendar of end-of-semester activities during POL week. A full description of all those activities are provided on the blog here.
Contact Deepti Reim for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents are invited to POLs! (Even if your student says you aren’t ☺)
We would love to see you at of your student’s POLs if your schedule allows. Feel free to contact the classroom teachers directly with questions regarding attendance at your child’s POL.
Summer Break Details
- Last day of classes for students is Wednesday, June 5th (please note this is a minimum day where students see all periods and we will be in session from 8:50 am – 1:20 pm).
- Report Cards will be mailed out on Tuesday, June 11th. Please allow at least 2-3 business days for arrival to your home.
- The first day of school for the 19-20 school year is Monday, August 19th.
Students, best of luck on your Presentations of Learning. Take advantage of the time teachers provide you to work on POLs during the weeks leading up to them, ask questions and receive feedback. Practice and preparation make for the most successful POLs, so put aside the time to rehearse in front of family and friends!
Parents/guardians, please let us know if there are any questions regarding the schedule or policies, and we hope to see you at your student’s POL!