The 9th grade team is working on a project to create green spaces at Da Vinci and then lobby for greater access to green spaces in our community. In order to make this happen, we are looking for free or extremely cheap materials through sources like Craigslist and businesses with extra materials.
If you have the time and desire to make a free craigslist pickup of any of these items, Nathan will be on campus this Saturday1/24 from 9:30am to 1:00pm, and the campus is open for drop-offs during the week from 8am to 5pm each day (and often later, just call ahead if that is the case). Here are the materials the students have brainstormed so far. Students can check in with Meredith or any 9th grade teacher about details.
- Plastic sheeting
- Chicken wire
- Rocks/stone-big decorative or smaller river rock type
- Composting supplies including a bin
- Irrigation-small sprinkler heads, tubing, etc.
- Natural fertilizer
- Planters of any kind-pots, tires, boots, etc.
- Plants of all types-the kids have expressed interest in flowers as well as food plants
- Planting fabric
- PVC pipe
- Benches or other outdoor furniture in good condition
- Work/Gardening gloves
Lockdown Drill Recap
The lockdown drill went through without a hitch today. Students all went into lockdown mode in their first periods, and the Sheriff’s department was able to run through a training exercise of their own and evacuated a couple classrooms. Thank you all for participating.