Sandpipers has provided financial assistance to college-bound students since 1941 and is the oldest continuing aid program in the South Bay. Supporting more than 50 students per year, the program is unique in funding our qualified recipients throughout the four continuous years of their undergraduate studies. View our video about our Scholarship Program here: https://www.sandpipers.org/scholarships
For the 2022-2023 school year, Sandpipers awarded more than $300,000 to 55 college students (Freshmen – Senior years). Each student received a minimum of $500 with some receiving as much as $10,000 for the school year. This amount is based on their outstanding financial need from their FAFSA report.
High school seniors living in the South Bay (both citizens and eligible non-citizens as defined by the U.S. Department of Education) are eligible to apply for a Sandpipers Scholarship for the 2023-24 school year. Detailed eligibility requirements are stated below.
The entire Sandpipers Scholarship Application is online. The application is now available and can be accessed at this link: https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/86862
Similar to last year, the application should be easier for students in terms of the financial information that we are asking them to provide. This year, applicants need to provide their FAFSA that lists their Estimated Family Contribution (EFC.) If they did not do the FAFSA, then they will need to upload their parent/guardian(s) tax return, with all social security numbers crossed off.
All applications are due on Thursday, February 2, 2023 at 5 PM, no exceptions.
The Sandpipers Scholarship Committee conducts a rigorous review of ALL applications. Sandpipers will select up to 20 candidates to meet with the Sandpipers Scholarship Committee for virtual interviews. From those 20 students interviewed, the Committee will select between 12-14 students as Sandpipers Scholarship recipients for 2023-24.
We base our selection of our scholarship recipients on the following:
· Students’ community and school involvement
· Academic achievement
· Financial need
· Personal commitment to financially contribute to their own education via work-study, part-time employment, etc.
· Note: children and grandchildren of Sandpipers’ members are not eligible.
Application Requirements and Process
High school seniors meeting all eligibility requirements below may apply for a Sandpipers Scholarship:
- U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen (as defined by the U.S. Department of Education in The Student Guide)
- Cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher
- Permanent resident of the South Bay area of Southern California (roughly bounded by the 105 and 110 freeways)
- Students residing outside the South Bay area are eligible if they attend a high school in the defined South Bay area
- Demonstrate a financial need
Again, online applications with all supporting materials uploaded (essay, transcript, letters of recommendation) need to be completed by 5 p.m. on Thursday, February 2, 2023.